Friday, December 31, 2010

Let the Countdown Begin

Another year has come and gone way too fast for me to keep up with any new year's resolutions. Let's face it, I am pretty bad at keeping them any year so instead of my new year's resolutions I wanted to talk about a couple of my favorite articles about traveling and what traveling I look forward to in 2011. Sadly, 2010 was the year of no traveling for me, so I had to read about everyone else's adventures to get me pumped for Ireland.

1. National Geographic Traveler: Maui
     this article was about a man returning to visit Maui after living there for some time and not expecting to see anything new. He ended up discovering this whole new side of Maui that he never would have seen beyond the tourist traps. It made my day to know that even if I visit the same place more than once, it will always be a different experience.

2. Exposing Cultures
    I read a blog recently that talked about the ethics of tourist visiting indigenous tribes and villages and using them as a tourism stamp of the country. it made me sad to see that some people are abusing their opportunity to see such amazing things and it made me reevaluate what I wanted to do with travel writing.

3. Not Giving Up ANYTHING
    In Around the world Lilly's blog, she talked about how she feared following her dreams to travel because it was delaying her from having a life at home with a family. She said: "Do what you love and the rest will find you." I am living by this from now on.

My favorite articles this year definitely got me excited to study abroad and made me realize I am making the right decision. As of today I have 164 days until Ireland, and I am ready for the countdown to begin! Here are a couple of things I want out of 2011 along with Ireland:

1. Alternative Breaks: I hope to do one for both Christmas break and spring break so I can see some of the U.S. more (the farthest west I have been is Colorado? what the heck!?)

2. One epic road trip: I don't know who with or where to, but I know I really want to go on one!

Happy New Year! May 2011 bring lots of adventures for everyone

V

No comments:

Post a Comment